Saturday, June 23, 2012

June 23

Today was just pretty awesome. Woke well rested in my tent next to the creek and found it was colder than yesterday. It also seemed to be less buggy. With no good water for nine miles, I moved fast. I could have used the creek water, but it might have had some unsettling chemicals as it was right next to a road. After nine miles I sat right next to a spring for second breakfast or early lunch. It turned out I had two frogs as company. These frogs weren't camera shy either :)

About a gallon and an hour later, I headed to the infamous 501 shelter. The place turned out to be better than any shelter I'd seen in a really long time. It was more a cross between a shelter and a hostel than anything else.

It'd been my plan to move on quickly, but plans are fickle things. Apparently one could order Italian and have it delivered if one wanted. Not just one wanted; two wanted. Starman ordered a pizza and a salad while I  chose chicken parmagiana and a salad. Neither was incredible, but I was happy to have non hiker food. After filling up on water, I was on my way again. I was trying to make 9 miles more.

Plans are fickle thing. Turns out that there was a spring fed swimming hole at 6 miles out. Since I don't often get to play in water, I decided to stay here. Camping at the Hertline camp site at 1193.2. After clearing a tent site of rocks using the blunt end of my axe and a quick dip in the swimming hole, it's bed time.

Dreaming of trail magic in four miles as well as Cabelas and Hamberg tomorrow.

I love Pennsylvania!

No comments:

Post a Comment