Wednesday, June 13, 2012

June 10

You ever have one of those days when you couldn't be bothered to get up early even though you had something important to do? I had one of those days today. The blackburn trail center (a free hostel put on by the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club) was not what I would say close to Rod's Hollow Shelter. Additionally, I had what they call the "Roller Coaster" to push through on the way to the trail center. The roller coaster is ~13.5 miles of "steeply packed ascents and descents." It's one of those things that thruhikers tend to make a big deal about regardless of how difficult it actually is. The log books in the shelters prior to the roller coaster are full of references to it saying things like "Mommy, please don't make me ride the roller coaster... I'm too scared!" The other end of the spectrum is also present. Some say "Bring it" or "13.5 miles of up and down compared to ~1000 miles? I ain't scared." I was somewhere in between. I wasn't what you'd call worried, but I wasn't exactly sure how my legs would take it. Today would also be the day that I passed the 1000 mile mark and ventured into familiar trail territory. From about five miles before the blackburn center to the Pennsylvania-Maryland border, the trail is familiar from my college days.

As the day progressed and the ride on the roller coaster became less amicable, the temperature rose. For the first time in a long time I could hear my heart beating in my ears. There was a pleasant tightness and warmth in my muscles. It felt good to be doing work again. Drenched in sweat but happy I reached 1000 miles and shortly afterward crossed into West Virginia. About two miles from the trail center, I realized I was indeed tired. Maybe I wan't mentally tired but my feet were. My feet felt like they were gaining weight with every step towards the trail center. It can be very frustrating to realize that even though you are exhausted, you have to push on; you've got nowhere to sleep until you reach your destination. It's a life lesson if you let it be though. Sometimes you have to keep pushing on despite mind numbing fatigue to finish something when you literally have no other recourse. The less you fight the journey or the challenge, the easier it becomes. I stopped fighting the journey and reached the trail center.

The care takers of the trail center, Chris and Caroline, were super nice. The trail center was very clean and inviting mostly thanks to their efforts. They thru-hiked the trail the previous year and wanted to stay close to the trail culture without hiking everyday :D. Sometimes I can't blame them. They offered the hikers that night both a cold soft drink and a free spaghetti dinner. They did make it clear that their generosity was solely funded by the generosity (see donations) of hikers. To keep the generosity machine moving, most offered up donations.

I elected to sleep in the bunkhouse while most other people (DK, Medicine Man, Family Man, and Big-E) chose to tent or sleep on the screened porch. After such a challenging day, I could hardly find enough energy to care where I slept.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day! I get to go into Harper's Ferry, WV. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned Scoops ice cream shop to about 20 people in the last week. I think I'll have to visit that place first thing after I sign into the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's registry. I HAVE to find a place to do laundry especially considering that I am travelling to civilization by train the following day.

Almost historically halfway done!

No comments:

Post a Comment