Friday, June 22, 2012

June 15

I didn't quite make it to Ed Garvey shelter, but my new light and sticks weren't at fault. I think I realized that even if I made it to the shelter water would still be far away. For this reason and the fact that a breakfast on some cliffs would be epic, I decided to setup my tent at weverton cliffs.

Once I arrived at the cliffs, I did a quick sweep with my light to determine if I was alone on the cliff. I was not. There was a tent already there. To be respectful, I set up my tent far away from the other tent. Just because there was another person present didn't mean I wasn't going to visit the cliffs at night. I think it was at that moment when I invited some excitement into my night.

Obviously, if there is another person in a tent at eleven in the night, you'd use a soft step and a dim light to traverse the campsite. I did exactly this, but after ten steps, I hear a faint, repetitive whistle. It might have even had a slight quiver in its note. Deciding I had given the tent occupants a fright I called out, " hello, are you alright?" Immediately I hear a reply from inside the tent. She, a teacher in her late twenties, said, "ohmygosh! I'm so glad you weren't a bear." From then until about 12:30, we conversed about the trail and travel. It was pretty neat, but I was super tired from my travels. After politely excusing myself, I took my leave and went to sleep.  

Since I was unable to partake in the official Maryland challenge (do all of Maryland in one day approx. 40 miles), I decided I'd do what I used to do in a weekend in a day. I was going to make it to ensign cowall shelter from the weverton cliffs. That's about 27 miles. I was able to finish right as the sun was setting. Something about that day made me ravenously hungry. I've got to stop eating all my snacks ahead of time!

I was excited to stay in the shelter for the first time in about forever. The reason being was there was a very respectful and nice section hiking family - grandad, grandmom, mother, and two sons. Dad had had minor surgery recently and could not make it. They were all delightful. Each had a real personality. This is in direct opposition to most thru hikers. That lot is either asleep by 6pm or loud and boisterous. They also tend to take on larger than life personas. You know the deal... talking about themselves in third person and their trail reputation. Sometimes it can be humorous to hear, "Yep, that's what they say about old 'own trail name'." Sometimes you can only wag your head.

No comments:

Post a Comment