Monday, June 18, 2012

June 16

Today I officially became a Yankee. A fellow implored me to return, but I said, "Nay, my good sir, I'm a yank through and through until I'm done. Long live the Union and to the worms be Jefferson Davis." Basically, I crossed into Pennsylvania from Maryland. At the same time I also crossed the Mason Dixon line. Some hiking couple did offer me trail magic if I walked back about a mile; I politely declined.

It was sometime decided I'd try to make Duncannon, PA by the 19th. It's a bit ambitious but doable. Maybe I felt extra energy from the fresh fruit the weekend hikers left me. I don't quite know.

Made it a little past rocky mountain shelters today (1073.6). I've found I can do more miles in a day if I do four to five two hour shifts. The lengthening summer days aid my quest. It wasn't long after I started to set my tent up that two people started to venture down the trail - a youngish girl about 19, Rachel, and an older lady, Cindy. It was their first day out, and they were uneducated in the field of bear bagging. This fact rattled their very beings since they had seen a "huge" black bear a mile back. Because I could help, I taught them how to hang a bag. Afterward, we sat around a fire talking about problems that could happen to anyone but most were delightfully "country".

Such as:
I haven't told my dad that my brother knocked up his gf while I was house sitting and they were at Disney.
My brother's wife likes driving her car fast even after her terrible accident.
My youth group's leader almost got arrested at a mall for driving one of the shopping carts that looked like an ambulance.
And so on...

No comments:

Post a Comment