Thursday, June 14, 2012

June 12-14

Getting back on the trail after a wonderful diversion. When you have friends from college or work in a particular area, you're kind of obligated to stop in if you want to keep them as friends (I also have awesome friends so it is always a pleasure to visit and see what they're up to). I was blessed to travel to both DC and Baltimore during my time off.

The first day of my mini vacation started very early. I caught the 6 am commuter train from harpers ferry to dc. Something about getting up with the sun makes me feel industrious and useful. Everything about the weather and the setting reminded me of England. It was chilly, foggy, and drizzling. After sitting at the station for awhile, another hiker shuffled up. Dan's section hike on the AT was completed. He'd done the first half quicker than me by a week. Medical school would start soon for him. He mentioned he had never been to DC but wanted to see the museums. Today was his lucky day - I happen to know a very nice young lady who was already going to give me a tour of the archives at the American History Smithstonian. A quick call confirmed that he could join in.

After an hour and a half train ride, we arrived at DC's union station. Rejoining society with the shoppes and the appealing architecture was a pleasant change. I thought that until I got outside into the chaos that is Washington DC. It was like walking into one of those renaissance paintings with the thousand or so individuals doing crazy, individual activities. Shell shocked didn't adequately describe this emotion.

It seems like DC must have received a good amount of money recently for construction projects. There wasn't a national building around the mall that wasn't being renovated. Even the national mall was torn up and being put back together.

After bagels and a stroll through several construction sites, we arrived at the American History museum. It was a bit interesting getting in with camping gear but doable. The special tour was outstanding. Several other museum staff helped when we crossed into different specialties such as first ladies, political history, war uniforms, and weapons. It feels unreal to see such sacred articles to our country that intimately. For example, I got to see the autopsy kit used on Lincoln. It wasn't two feet from me with no glass between us. I had the opportunity to have an experience most will never have. Thank you museum staff! The only item I touched all day was a Browning Automatic Rifle in the weapons room. That rifle was heavier than i had expected. A note on the weapons room: it looked like the room Neo from the matrix summoned at the start of the lobby fight scene. Guns were everywhere. I liked the other items, but that room was my favorite.

After the tour and some Chinese, Dan and I parted ways - he towards his home and me toward UMBC. I was able to visit most of my old professors and colleagues at the TRC. Unfortunately, my advisor happened to be on vacation. It would have been nice to see him, but I was thankful to see the people I did see.

After visiting my old university, it was time to cram as many friends into the schedule as possible. That was a recipe for a lot of fun and little sleep. Glad I did it though.

Some good sleep prepared me to get resupplied and take a trip to REI (a really neat outdoor outfitter). I can get in and out of a grocer's in twenty minutes, but REI is a little more exciting. My poles were done and my light was malfunctioning. I could have probably went through customer service at each appropriate company, but REI has a wonderful return policy. I wish I was exaggerating when I said I was in the store for three hours weighing the attributes of each potential piece of replacement gear. You put thirty lights with a spectrum of features and prices in front of a hiker and you'll get a conflicted,bewildered hiker. Thank God for store associates. I settled on stronger poles and a black diamond storm. Both are superior to what I previously had. Can't wait to use my new toys!

I tarried long enough that I missed my train. Fortunately, I hadn't bought the ticket yet. Good thing I was in Baltimore where the 200th anniversary celebration of the war of 1812 was happening. Couple that with good friends and there was lots of stuff to do.

After a pleasant night and a relaxing half day of waiting for the appropriate train, I'm back on my trek into the wilderness. Hoping to make it to Ed Garvey shelter tonight. Little bit of night hiking to test my light?

No comments:

Post a Comment