Saturday, July 7, 2012

July 7

21 miles toasted today. Although New York is really pretty, I'm not quite sold on hiking in it just yet. My main complaint is there is not much water. This deficit does bring out the best in people though. I've run into about 4 caches of water in two days. At the caches there are usually many gallon jugs just waiting for a hiker in need. I think it's likely the best trail magic. Also, the shelters in ny are... hmm... no really polite way to say it but terrible. They need some work.

As far as actual hiking is concerned, ny is fun. The mountains are becoming hard again. There are many views. There are even technical rock scrambles. I've even had to remove my pack in a squeeze in a speleological fashion. I've seen more deer here than anywhere else. First time I've ever seen bucks or fawns in my entire life. Saw a pair of each. One buck still had his soft, furry horns. Each buck had two points on each side. Is guess that's a two point buck, but I don't hunt.

Tonight I'll fall asleep just past the Bear Mountain tower to the sounds of artillery fire from west point. Those boys and gals are really letting into something. Tomorrow I will cross the Hudson. We'll see if I'm froggy enough for another 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment