Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 24

The Green Mountain Hostel was a nice stay. Twenty dollars bought a night's room, laundry, use of a kitchen, a shower with towel, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Even though the storm kept me up most all night, I'm glad I stayed there. I'd rather be inside during a storm of that magnitude than outside. Lightning and thunder were prevalent and close until at least three in the morning. The morning was enhanced by coffee brewed by Sugar.

After eating half a box of cereal and some doughnuts, I started up the trail like a flash in my gaudy trail runners. An hour passed and I found myself in a cloud on top of the Bromley Ski Resort. Visibility was limited due to fog, but it was exhilarating because it reminded me of the Smokies.

The rest of the day consisted of hiking through alpine forests around lakes while dodging the occasional cold rain storm. At one point we ascended along a ridge to find a staggering view of the Taconic Mountains behind us. These are BIG mountains that we were close enough to really appreciate their magnitude.

Tonight I find myself in the Big Branch shelter. We're (Jersey, Hill Hiker, Big Sky, Diesel, and Sugar) listening to a flowing river and hoping to not catch much rain tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment