Friday, July 13, 2012

July 10 - 13

I'm afraid there hasn't been too much to publish about recently. There have been a few funny instances and several observations I will share.

I write this log with a heavy heart after learning that a childhood friend has passed. Robert Foster passed away recently, but I don't know many details. He was a great friend to those that knew him, and I'll always remember the times from TMA. Miss you, bud.

I've been mostly hiking alone during the day. The nights have usually been spent tenting with Jersey and Hillhiker. They seem to be developing a quickness to judge that has not yet been directed at myself. Since they are taking a four day break starting tomorrow, I may not see them again.

It seems like my body is well acclimatized to the heat. I start sweating early and continue all day. Words can't describe how dirty I feel. Even if I start fresh, by the time a single day is done, I am again dirty. My legs seem to be remembering their strength as the hills turn into mountains. I should be in MA by tomorrow and almost into VT not too long after that. Time and miles are flying, but I expect to have some very tough terrain coming my way soon.

Onto animals. Squirrels up here are different. They are the second mist prevalent animal behind the chipmunk. They can come in black. They also have legs as big as a rabbit's. Must be from scampering up the hills.

I used to think black rat snakes were docile, but apparently up here they are different. Connect 4 and I were dancing around a rock while the non docile nature of a rat snake came forth. It was just lying there. We were just passing around. All of a sudden it turned, I swear I heard an evil hiss, and it started chasing and snapping. Stupid snake.

Also, I've been reading a good bit during the hotter times of the day. My current book is Adventure by Jack London. Loving it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment